How we Prepare Cisco DevNet Expert Lab Exam
Cisco DevNet Expert certification is an advanced-level certification designed for professionals aiming to demonstrate their expertise in designing and implementing complex network automation solutions using Cisco technologies. The DevNet Expert Lab Exam is a critical component of this certification, testing candidates on their practical skills and ability to design and implement sophisticated solutions.
Cisco DevNet Expert Certification Overview:
To pursue the Cisco DevNet Expert certification, candidates are required to have:
- CCIE DevNet Certification: Candidates must hold the Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert (CCIE) DevNet certification as a prerequisite. This certification demonstrates a high level of proficiency in network automation and programmability.
- Written Exam: Candidates need to pass the DevNet Expert written exam before attempting the lab exam. The written exam assesses a candidate’s knowledge across a broad range of topics related to network automation, programmability, and Cisco technologies.
DevNet Expert Lab Exam Overview:
The DevNet Expert Lab Exam is an eight-hour practical exam that evaluates candidates on their ability to design and implement comprehensive network automation solutions. The exam assesses various aspects of a candidate’s skills, including design principles, automation tools and frameworks, coding proficiency, and troubleshooting capabilities.
The lab exam covers a wide range of topics, and candidates are expected to demonstrate proficiency in the following key areas:
- Design Principles for Automation: Candidates are evaluated on their ability to design end-to-end network automation solutions. This includes understanding business requirements, selecting appropriate technologies, and creating scalable and maintainable designs.
- DevOps Practices: The exam assesses candidates on their understanding and application of DevOps principles, including continuous integration, continuous delivery (CI/CD), and collaboration between development and operations teams.
- Security in Automation: Candidates need to demonstrate knowledge of security best practices in the context of network automation. This includes securing automation scripts, ensuring compliance, and implementing secure coding practices.
- Application Programming Interfaces (APIs): Proficiency in working with APIs is a key aspect of the exam. Candidates should be comfortable using RESTful APIs, understanding API documentation, and integrating different systems through APIs.
- Data Models and YANG: Understanding data models, especially YANG (Yet Another Next Generation), is crucial for designing and implementing network automation solutions. Candidates should be proficient in working with data models to describe network elements and services.
- Model-Driven Telemetry: The exam evaluates candidates on their ability to implement model-driven telemetry solutions. This includes configuring devices to export telemetry data and using telemetry data for monitoring and troubleshooting.
- Automation with Cisco Platforms: As the certification is Cisco-focused, candidates should be adept at using automation tools and frameworks in conjunction with Cisco platforms. This may include Cisco DNA Center, Cisco ACI (Application Centric Infrastructure), and other Cisco solutions.
- Troubleshooting Automation Solutions: Candidates need to showcase their troubleshooting skills in the context of network automation. This involves identifying and resolving issues in scripts, automation workflows, and infrastructure configurations.
The DevNet Expert Lab Exam is an eight-hour hands-on exam conducted in a lab environment. Candidates are presented with a set of scenarios that simulate real-world network automation challenges. They are required to design and implement solutions to address these challenges within the stipulated time.
- Lab Equipment: The exam environment typically includes a set of devices, virtual machines, and network topologies that candidates must interact with to complete the assigned tasks.
- Documentation Access: Candidates have access to documentation during the exam, simulating real-world conditions where engineers often refer to documentation for reference.
- Scoring: The exam is scored based on the correctness and efficiency of the solutions implemented. Partial credit may be awarded for partially correct solutions.
- Lab Exam Grading: Cisco uses a rigorous grading process, and candidates receive detailed feedback on their performance. The grading considers the candidate’s approach to problem-solving, the accuracy of the implemented solutions, and adherence to best practices.
Preparing for the DevNet Expert Lab Exam requires a comprehensive understanding of the exam topics and hands-on experience with network automation tools and Cisco technologies. Here are key strategies for effective preparation:
- Hands-On Practice: Actively engage with automation tools and Cisco platforms in a lab environment. Practical experience is crucial for developing the skills needed for the exam.
- Lab Scenarios: Practice with lab scenarios that mimic the complexity of the actual exam. Simulate end-to-end automation solutions, and work on troubleshooting scenarios to enhance your problem-solving skills.
- Study Resources: Utilize a variety of study resources, including official Cisco documentation, whitepapers, online courses, and books. Stay updated on the latest developments in network automation and programmability.
- Community Engagement: Participate in online forums, discussion groups, and communities related to network automation and Cisco DevNet. Engaging with peers and experts can provide valuable insights and support.
- Time Management: Develop effective time management skills. The eight-hour duration of the exam requires candidates to efficiently allocate time to different tasks. Practice managing your time during preparation.
- Mock Exams: Take advantage of practice exams and mock labs to simulate the exam environment. This helps build confidence and familiarizes you with the types of challenges you may encounter.
- Stay Informed: Keep abreast of updates to the Cisco DevNet certification track, exam blueprints, and any changes to the exam format. This ensures that your preparation aligns with the latest requirements.
Exam Day Tips:
On the day of the DevNet Expert Lab Exam, consider the following tips:
- Read Carefully: Begin by carefully reading all instructions and scenarios provided. Understanding the requirements is crucial for effective problem-solving.
- Plan Your Time: Allocate time strategically for each task. Prioritize based on the complexity of the scenarios and the weight assigned to each section.
- Document Your Work: Clearly document your solutions as you work through the scenarios. This not only helps you stay organized but also provides valuable information for the grading process.
- Stay Calm: The eight-hour duration can be demanding, so it’s essential to stay calm and focused. Take short breaks if needed to maintain concentration.
- Review Your Work: If time permits, review your solutions and ensure that you’ve addressed all aspects of the scenarios. Correct any errors or make improvements where possible.
- Submit on Time: Ensure that you submit your work within the allocated time. Incomplete or late submissions may affect your overall score.
Cisco certifications are valid for three years. To maintain the DevNet Expert certification, candidates must recertify every three years. This can be achieved by passing any of the following:
- The current DevNet Expert written exam.
- Achieving the Cisco Certified DevNet Professional certification.
- Achieving the Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert (CCIE) certification.
The Cisco DevNet Expert Lab Exam is a challenging yet rewarding assessment of a candidate’s ability to design and implement sophisticated network automation solutions. Success in this exam demonstrates a high level of proficiency in using automation tools, programming languages, and Cisco technologies to address real-world challenges. Continuous learning and hands-on practice are key components of a successful preparation strategy, ensuring that candidates are well-equipped to excel in the dynamic field of network automation. For the most accurate and up-to-date information, candidates are encouraged to refer to the official Cisco certification website and documentation.